Project Management Office (PMO)
Everything under control? Everything in view? With a PMO?
The tasks of a Project Management Office (PMO) can be of different nature. At least in reality, different definitions are often used under the term PMO, caused among other things by the fact that there is no uniform and unambiguous definition according to PM methodologies, textbooks or German industry standardization (DIN).
Basically there are three types of PMO in reality, which are used in this way or partly also in mixed forms:
at a cross-organizational level, the PMO implements, creates and describes the specifications for the organization. Standards, processes, methods and tools are developed, introduced / established and further developed.
is located on a cross-organizational level or within an organizational unit, which controls all programs and projects of a company or organizational unit with regard to time, costs and quality and / or is also responsible for project portfolio management.
which is installed specifically within individual projects or programs with greater complexity in order to support the definition, establishment and adherence to concepts and methods within the framework of project management and to ensure the coordinated execution of subprojects. This significantly reduces the workload of program and project managers.
In the environment of the three PMOs mentioned above, a whole range of tasks and responsibilities are thus used – to name just a few:
- Requirement managment (coordinate and prioritisation of project ideas and proposals)
- Project, portfolio, and program management for the company
- Systematically identification and analyse of risks inside of a project portfolio or of a multiproject / program context
- Development and advanced of project management methods of a company or inside of an organisationunit (normally standart-methodics likeGPM/IPMA, PMI/PMBOK, PRINCE2)
- Methodics advise and coaching of employees, project leaders and managers
- Development and Execution of PM-trainings for project staff and leaders
- Execution of project-audits and reviews
- Preparation and administration of a project leader pool and skill management of the project staff and project leaders
- Knowledge management for projects
Which PMO I am going to need?
There is no general answer to this question. The individual framework conditions of a company or an organizational unit must be taken into account. We help you to analyse your situation and to define and implement your PMO, or we take over this completely for you as an external partner.
Our approach to the first steps towards establishing a PMO: Less is more!
The function of a PMO depends among other things on the acceptance in the enterprise. It is therefore essential to avoid overstraining the organization with too many regulations or, in the worst case, with regulations that cannot be applied operationally.
Thanks to the many years of experience of our highly qualified team and our high practical orientation, we have developed pragmatic but practicable solutions that can be implemented in just a few steps and in a short time.
We are going to help you:
- Increasing transparency
- To guarantee the communication at projects and to the project leaders
- By coordinating and integration of projects and sub-projects
- To establish and initialize a purposive reporting
- Optimize the justification and control of projects
- Define basic conditions, valuation, method, tools and rules for a project and guarantee the compliance of them consistent